High blood pressure can cause a variety of major health issues, including heart attacks, heart failure, strokes, and renal disease. Preventing these and other issues requires early treatment of high blood pressure such as Blood pressure pills.
A wide range of Blood pressure pills can be used to treat high blood pressure. Antihypertensives are the name for these medications and Blood pressure pills. They’re separated into a variety of categories, each of which has its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
With so many alternatives, it may take some time and patience to locate the ideal one for you. Your doctor will collaborate with you to develop the most effective treatment plan for you, which may involve one or more Blood pressure pills. Healthowealth has gathered some Blood pressure pills and blood pressure pills names for you.
Some of the most widely prescribed Blood pressure pills to treat high blood pressure are diuretics. They help in the lungs’ clearance of excess water and sodium (salt). This decreases your blood pressure by reducing the amount of blood that needs to travel through your blood vessels.
Thiazide, potassium-sparing, and loop diuretics are the three types of diuretics. Thiazide diuretics have less negative effects than other types of diuretics. This is especially true when they’re administered in modest doses that are commonly used to manage high blood pressure in the early stages.
Thiazide diuretics (blood pressure pills) include the following:
- chlorthalidone is a kind of chlorthalidone that is (Hygroton)
- chlorothiazide is a kind of chlorothiazide that is (Diuril)
- hydrochlorothiazide is a kind of hydrochlorothiazide that is (Hydrodiuril, Microzide)
- indapamide is a kind of indapamide (Lozol)
- metolazone is a kind of metolazone (Zaroxolyn)
Potassium-sparing diuretics (blood pressure pills) include the following:
- amiloride is a kind of amiloride that is (Midamor)
- spironolactone is a kind of spironolactone that is (Aldactone)
- triamterene is a kind of triamterene (Dyrenium)
- Loop diuretics include the following:
- bumetanide is a kind of antibiotic that is used to treat (Bumex)
- furosemide is a kind of furosemide that is (Lasix)
- torsemide is a kind of torsemide that is (Demadex)
Combination diuretics (blood pressure pills) include the following:
- hydrochlorothiazide/amiloride hydrochloride (Moduretic)
- spironolactone/hydrochlorothiazide (spironolactone/hydrochlorothiazide) (Aldactazide)
Beta-blockers operate by preventing your body’s substances from stimulating your heart. This allows your heart to beat more gently and efficiently. Your heart pumps less blood through the arteries with each beat, decreasing blood pressure.
Some examples of these blood pressure pills are as follows:
- acebutolol acebutolol acebutolol (Sectral)
- atenolol is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Tenormin)
- betaxolol is a kind of betaxolol that is (Kerlone)
- bisoprolol is a kind of bisoprolol that is (Zebeta)
- bisoprolol/hydrochlorothiazide is a combination of bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide (Ziac)
- tartrate of metoprolol (Lopressor)
- succinate of metoprolol (Toprol-XL)
- nadolol (Corgard)
- pindolol is a drug that is used to treat a variety of (Visken)
- propranolol is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Inderal)
- lonetol (Betapace)
- timolol is a kind of timolol that is (Blocadren)
Inhibitors of the angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE)
ACE inhibitors are kind of blood pressure pills that prevent the body from producing angiotensin II, a hormone that causes blood vessels to shrink. These drugs reduce blood pressure by allowing constricted blood vessels to dilate and allow more blood to flow through.
ACE inhibitors (Blood pressure pills) include the following drugs:
- Benazepril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Lotensin)
- captopril is a drug that is used to treat high blood (Capoten)
- enalapril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Vasotec)
- fosinopril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Monopril)
- lisinopril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Prinivil, Zestril)
- moexipril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Univasc)
- perindopril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Aceon)
- april quinapril (Accupril)
- ramipril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Altace)
- trandolapril is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Mavik)
- Blockers of the angiotensin II receptor (ARBs)
Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEIs) are kinds of blood pressure pills that prevent angiotensin II from damaging blood vessels. To constrict blood arteries, angiotensin II must bind to a receptor site. The use of ARBs prevents this from occurring. Blood pressure is reduced as a result.
ARBs (Blood pressure pills) include the following:
- candesartan is a kind of candesartan that is (Atacand)
- eprosartan is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Teveten)
- irbesartan is a kind of irbesartan that is (Avapro)
- losartan is a drug that is used to treat high (Cozaar)
- telmisartan is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Micardis)
- valsartan is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Diovan)
Calcium channel blockers
There are blood pressure pills that inhibit calcium channels in the body. Calcium must flow in and out of muscle cells for all muscles to move. Calcium channel blockers work by preventing calcium from entering the heart and blood vessels’ smooth muscle cells.
The heart beats slower and the blood vessels relax as a result of this.
The following are some examples of these blood pressure pills names:
- amlodipine is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Norvasc, Lotrel)
- diltiazem is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Cardizem CD, Cardizem SR, Dilacor XR, Tiazac)
- felodipine is a kind of felodipine that is (Plendil)
- isradipine is a kind of isradipine that is (DynaCirc, DynaCirc CR)
- nicardipine nicardipine nicardipine (Cardene SR)
- nifedipine is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Adalat CC, Procardia XL)
- nisoldipine is a drug that is used to treat high blood pressure (Sular)
- verapamil is a drug that is used to treat a (Calan SR, Covera HS, Isoptin SR, Verelan)
Catecholamines are hormones that your body produces in response to particular events. These hormones bind to alpha-receptors on the cell’s surface. As a result of the constriction of your blood vessels, your heart beats faster and more powerfully. Your blood pressure will rise as a result of these acts.
Catecholamines bind to alpha-receptors, hence alpha-blockers prevent them from binding. As a consequence, blood is able to flow more freely through the blood vessels, and your heart beats correctly. Blood pressure is reduced as a result of this.
Alpha-blockers (Blood pressure pills) include the following medications:
- doxazosin is a drug that is used to treat a variety (Cardura)
- prazosin is a drug that is used to treat a (Minipress)
- terazosin is a drug that is used to treat a variety (Hytrin)
Alpha-blockers have a synergistic impact. They are blood pressure pills that prevent catecholamine hormones from binding to both alpha and beta receptors. As a result, they, like alpha-blockers, can reduce blood vessel constriction. They also reduce the speed and power of the wind.
The following are some examples of alpha-beta-blockers (Blood pressure pills):
- caraferol (Coreg)
- labetalol is a drug that is used to treat depression (Normodyne, Trandate)
Agonists for the central nervous system
These Blood pressure pills prevent the brain from delivering signals to the nervous system to release catecholamines. As a result, the heart doesn’t have to work as hard to pump blood, which lowers blood pressure.
Central agonists (Blood pressure pills) include the following:
- methyldopa is a drug that is used to treat Parkinson’s disease (Aldomet)
- Clonidine is a drug that is used to treat clon (Catapres)
- guanfacine is a kind of guanfacine that is (Tenex)
Vasodilators are kind of blood pressure pills that relax the muscles that line the insides of blood vessels, particularly the arterioles, which are tiny arteries. This dilates the blood arteries, allowing blood to flow more easily through them. Blood pressure drops as a result.
Vasodilators (blood pressure pills) include the following:
- hydralazine is a kind of hydralazine that is (Apresoline)
- minoxidil is a kind of minoxidil that is (Loniten)
Antagonists of the aldosterone receptor
Aldosterone receptor antagonists function by inhibiting the action of the hormone aldosterone. By minimizing the amount of fluid your body retains, this exercise aids in the reduction of blood pressure.
The following are some examples of aldosterone receptor antagonists:
- eplerenone is a kind of eplerenone (Inspra)
- spironolactone is a kind of spironolactone that is (Aldactone)
Renin-inhibitors that target the renin-angiotensin system directly
Direct renin inhibitors are a form of blood pressure medication that is relatively new (DRIs). These medications work by blocking the chemical renin in your body. This activity aids in the widening of blood arteries, which decreases blood pressure.
In the United States, just one form of DRI is currently available:
- Aliskiren is a fictional character (Tekturna)
Plans for treating high blood pressure with medications
A thiazide diuretic is a first-line treatment for most persons with high blood pressure. For some people, a diuretic isn’t enough to keep blood pressure under control. A diuretic may be used in conjunction with a beta-blocker, ACE inhibitor, angiotensin II receptor blocker, or calcium channel blocker in certain conditions. Taking a second drug in addition to a diuretic may help you drop your blood pressure faster. It also enables you to take fewer doses of each medicine, perhaps reducing adverse effects.
Blood pressure pills that work in tandem
A combination medicine may be prescribed if your doctor believes you require more than one blood pressure pill to control your blood pressure. They could pair a beta-blocker with a diuretic, or an ARB with a calcium channel blocker, for example.
It may be more convenient to use these combination medicines than of taking numerous different pills every day.
There are several combinations of blood pressure pills available to treat high blood pressure. Here are several examples:
- triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide (Dyazide) – both diuretics, triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide
- Diovan HCT (valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide) – valsartan is an ARB, while hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic.
Multiple conditions are being treated
The sort of Blood pressure pills your doctor recommends may be determined by your other medical issues. A beta-blocker, for example, may be prescribed if you have coronary artery disease (CAD) and high blood pressure. A beta-blocker can help you lower your blood pressure and minimize your overall risk of mortality if you’ve suffered a myocardial infarction caused to CAD.
Your doctor may prescribe an ACE inhibitor or an ARB if you have diabetes. Because these medications reduce blood pressure in your kidneys, they can help protect your kidneys from diabetic damage.
Consult your physician
High blood pressure is a significant illness that needs treatment to avoid further health complications.
Don’t worry if all of your drug alternatives leave you perplexed. Your doctor can advise you on which medications will work best for you. You can work together to create a treatment plan to lower your blood pressure.
The following are some questions to ask your doctor:
- Is it necessary for me to take medication to keep my blood pressure under control?
- Do I have a high risk of certain blood pressure medications side effects?
- Is there anything else I’m taking that might interact with my blood pressure medications?
- Is it possible for me to use combined blood pressure medications?
- Do you think a healthier diet and more exercise might help me decrease my blood pressure?
If, after reading the article “Blood pressure pills “, you liked it and became interested in studying in other fields of health and medicine, we suggest you read the following articles from the category blood pressure on our website.