Diabetes can be caused by a multitude of factors, including genetics, family history, ethnicity, health, and the environment. There is no one-size-fits-all diabetes cause because the causes vary depending on the individual and the type of diabetes.
The causes of diabetes (type 1), for example, differ significantly from the causes of gestational diabetes Type 2 diabetes, like type 1 diabetes, has a separate set of causes. In truth, the aetiology of type 1 and type 2 diabetes are vastly different. Type 1 diabetes is caused by the pancreas’ inability to make insulin, but type 2 diabetes is caused by the body’s resistance to insulin. In this article of HealthoWealth we will discuss the causes of diabetes.
Different Causes of diabetes
Causes of diabetes type 1
Type 1 diabetes is caused by the immune system attacking the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This results in diabetes because the body is unable to function normally due to a lack of insulin. This is known as an autoimmune reaction or autoimmune cause because the body is destroying itself. Although there are no known causes for diabetes, the following factors may play a role:
- Infection caused by a virus or bacterium
- Toxic chemicals in food
- Unidentified component causing an autoimmune reaction
A type 1 diabetes cause could potentially be an underlying genetic disposition.
Causes of diabetes type 2
The causes of diabetes type 2 are frequently complex, meaning that more than one factor is at play. A family history of type 2 diabetes is sometimes the most overpowering factor.
This is the most common cause of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes has a number of risk factors, all of which enhance the likelihood of acquiring the disease.
These are some of them:
- Living a sedentary lifestyle
- Increasing age
- Bad diet
Other causes of diabetes type 2, such as pregnancy or sickness, can be risk factors for the disease.
Gestational diabetes causes
The origins of gestational diabetes, commonly known as pregnancy diabetes, are unknown. There are, however, some risk factors that raise the likelihood of acquiring this condition:
- Family history of gestational diabetes
- Obese or overweight
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Have had a large baby weighing over 9lb
Gestational diabetes can be caused by a variety of factors, including ethnicity, with some ethnic groups having a higher risk than others.
Other diabetes causes
There are plenty of other factors that could lead to diabetes. The following are some of them:
- Diabetes can be caused by pancreatitis or pancreatectomy. Pancreatitis, as well as a pancreatectomy, are known to raise the risk of diabetes.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a kind of polycystic ova (PCOS). Obesity-related insulin resistance is one of the fundamental causes of PCOS, and it may also increase the risk of pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Cushing’s syndrome is a condition that affects the adrenal glands. This syndrome causes an increase in cortisol release, which leads to higher blood glucose levels. Diabetes can be caused by an excess of cortisol.
- Because the amounts of insulin and glucagon production are out of balance in patients with glucagonoma, they may develop diabetes.
- Steroid diabetes is an uncommon kind of diabetes caused by long-term glucocorticoid treatment.
If, after reading the article “causes of diabetes “, you liked it and became interested in studying in other fields of health and medicine, we suggest you read the following articles from the category diabetes on our website.
- what is Diabetes?
- The best diabetes food list
- Dry mouth diabetes
- What is type 3 diabetes?
- Diabetic hypoglycemia